Sunday, August 26, 2012

CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD!

CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD....... at least not if the Geo has anything to with it

That little Geo.....   is quite a car. I think it has a personality, dwelling within it.
This is not my first post regarding my car, first was patience, this one is just plain politeness.
My husband and I were out to dinner a few months ago. We pull into the parking lot of Plaza Bonita, he gets out of the Geo and proceeds to walk around the car to the restaurant.  I on the other hand, was having an all out war with my door.  Call me slow, but it didn't dawn on me to roll my window down to try the outside door latch. I was still fighting the door, when my husband noticed I had not gotten out of the car, and  with a half  puzzled half disgusted  look on his face, he quickly came to my reluctant  rescue and opened the door. "What in the  #@&%  is wrong with this car now? " He was using this tone because it has been hot, and he is tired, and he doesn't want to do car repair.  "You don't have to fix it" I stated sarcastically, "I just won't use that door". 
He fixed the door. He took an afternoon, tore the door apart, checked out the so called door mechanics, and of course, you all know by now that he is handy, so Wala! door fixed.
2 weeks or so go by and the door takes a dive again, extremely irritated with this he fixed it once again.
 Another 2 weeks or so go by, and for no apparent reason, the door dives once more.
That was a couple of months ago, and you guessed it, he is not fighting the door any more. The Geo doesn't want that door working and it shall remain not working.
I pick up my grandkids with my Geo, and of course it can only be 3 at a time, and they all fight over the front seat, so needless to say, one is always in the front seat, with the door, that has taken a dive. It has taken a month or so for the passenger not to be temporarily left behind a few seconds as every one dives out of the car, and heads towards our driven destination.

But not now.  My grandchildren get out of the backseat, and without thinking, quickly turn to let out the passenger in the front seat. You see it doesn't matter who is in that seat, they are politely let out by whom ever else is in the car. This looks very impressive, as a 6 year old boy is opening the door for his 10 year old sister. And it doesn't stop there. My husband opens the door for me without thinking, equally as impressive. Especially when people are looking our way. The combinations go on and on. Mom for daughter, sister for sister, friend for friend, cousin for cousin.  You see, we have all learned to automatically take the time without thinking to help a passenger in need.  So as far as the Geo is concerned?
Well..... Chivalry is definitely not dead.




 

18 comments:

  1. oh how I have experienced your "GEO Door" you and I laughed so hard as I climbed over the gear shift slid across the seat and trying to keep my leg from becoming a part of your car LOL as you stood there so patiently holding the door open for me, in front of a resturant---remember?Haaaaaa and as we left we had to do the same actions to get bk in as we laughed wondering if anyone was watching {as I am sure they were} haaaa and we hoped they knew we were "sisters: HAAAA love ya sis great story today:)your little GEO "Rocks"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do remember that day! that was when neither the outside or inside handle was working!! hahaah Thanks my blog homie! Ruthy

      Delete
  2. I love it!! We should all take a lesson from the Geo!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives new lessons every month! Thanks for reading! Ruthy

      Delete
  3. Gosh! I was going to complain about my driver's side door on my '91 Ford F-250. But not now!! After reading this heartwarming story of sharing and consideration I'm actually grateful for my bucket of bolts. If anyone could stuff 10 pounds of kittens in a 5 pound sack...it would be you Ruthy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thankyou Mike! that is quite a compliment, and yes your 91 Ford F-250 too rocks! Thanks for reading! Ruthy

      Delete
  4. Maybe everyone's passenger door should take a dive so we can all learn chivalry once more.. The world would be a better place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it though? Thanks for reading!Ruthy

      Delete
  5. I know there is a lesson in here somewhere... I just can't seem to put my finger on it... I'm a little surprised your husband didn't put his fist to it? I guess there is hope for all of us!

    Honestly it's all about perspective isn't it? You could choose to be mad, instead chose to make it a great family story that your kids and grandkids will talk about forever... I guess that little trouble making car has found a soft spot... and home...

    Great post Diane. Nothing better than real life stories with real life lessons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floyd, I really do love that little car! It has sentemental value to me as well, you see my kids bought me that car the year I blew out my back, was bed bound, with no money in the bank. Amanda came in my room around 9 at night, made me close my eyes and she helped me hobble outside to the drive way. When I opened them, there was all my kids and grandkids waiting by that little car, all cleaned up and shiny! I cried like a baby. Ruthy

      Delete
  6. Actually a very touching story Ruthy! Who'd have thought the Geo would bring so many people together. I really enjoyed this and enjoy all your blogs. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Louise, I have had a couple of touching moments in my life anyway! ha Thanks always for your support! Ruthy

      Delete
  7. That Geo has a mind of its own, and with a positive attitude it perseveres just like its owners. It always gets the job done and keeps on ticking, all the while teaching these great lessons along the way! Great post Ruthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Amanda, that was very sweet! Thankyou for posting and taking time to read my humble blog! Ruthy

      Delete
  8. What a great story! You've always known how to find and apply lessons where they are needed. I'll never forget when I was 11 years old, and how you taught me the value of sharing with my cousins in a way that was convicting without being condemning.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ben! You will have to refresh my memory on that one. Glad to have you on board hope you continue to tune in! Ruthy

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Why thankyou Anonymous!Compliment is much appreciated. Ruthy

      Delete