Friday, September 21, 2012

Lunchables? No Way Jose'

 

Lunchables? No Way!!!!!!!

 
 
 
 
 
 
You don't have to read the book on ingredients ....but you get my point right?
 
Pizza Crust: Wheat Flour (Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Whole Wheat Flour), Water, Sugar, Glycerin, Soybean Oil, Contains 2% Or Less of: Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Salt, Mono- And Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Calcium Propionate, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Sorbic Acid, Enzyme. Contains: Wheat. Pizza Sauce: Water, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Contains Less Than 2% of Modified Food Starch, Garlic Powder, Salt, Onion Powder, Spice, Citric Acid, Dried Basil, Sea Salt, Potassium Sorbate Added As A Preservative, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavor. Pasteurized Prepared Mozzarella Cheese Product: Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Water, Milk Protein Concentrate, Salt, Cheese Culture, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sodium Citrate, Milk fat, Sorbic Acid As A Preservative, Enzymes, With Cellulose Powder to Prevent Caking. Contains: Milk. Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product: Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Water, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk fat, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Sorbic Acid As A Preservative, Apocarotenal (Color), Enzymes, Cheese Culture, With Cellulose Powder to Prevent Caking. Contains: Milk

THE END.......

COULD BE IF ALL YOU FED YOUR KIDS WAS THIS!

My 4th grand daughter has been asking her mom for pizza lunchables to take to school on a regular basis since she started school, and every time she asks... my daughter in law responds with the same reply:
ABSOLUTELY NOT, NO WAY!" " Do you know what's in those?"
Wow, just read the above ingredients and you might.... well, still not know. I have to admit, although I have been trying to enrich my word power, there are still some biggies up there I am having a hard time pronouncing and defining. Really? That lunch able box is what, about 7 inches square? To house what? A small crust, some sauce and a few sprinkles of cheese? I would have to agree with her on this one!

 My grand daughter is in second grade now  and a few days ago her mother had a thought.... "why can't I create my own lunch able?" 
 So She did, in fact she just told me about it yesterday, her daughter was thrilled by it, and that's why I have this blog idea! 

This is a really fun way for your kids to prepare their own lunch in the evening for the next day. The combinations can be left up to the imagination, and YOU can be in control of the sodium, sugar, fat and preservative levels!

 First, buy a glad plastic container, the three ways are great!



And always keep these handy healthier sandwich thins to use for your pizza crusts, on hand.
 
 


Here are a few combinations that we came up with!


First combo: Strawberries, Peanut butter, and Crème cheese




 

Just place the cream cheese in 1 section of the glad container, place your peanut butter in the other one, and your strawberries in the third. Place your Pizza crust in a baggy, pop it all in the fridge and it's ready to go for the next school day! Your kids will have fun and feel like a chef as they prepare their own personal pizza! You follow this simple protocol with each of the combos. Who knows what cool combos your kids will come up with on their own! Well maybe not so cool.

Second combo: 
 
 Sliced seasoned Turkey, Mixed Peppers, Mozzarella cheese and a mixture of hidden valley dip mix with sour cream!
 
 
 
 


 


 
 
Third combo:
 
 Prosciutto, Spinach leaves and black olives. Use Organic tomato sauce and your own seasoning to   make a healthy pizza sauce and put some mozzarella cheese in a baggie
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Fourth combo:

 Seasoned Chicken breast, sliced Cucumbers and sliced Tomatoes. Use the Sour cream and Ranch Dip Mix for this one too! Slice the meat in small strips!



 

Fifth combo: 
 
Tuna mixed with mayonnaise, Boiled Egg slices, and Celery slices. Season to your taste!
 


 

I'm pretty sure you won't need a book to list the ingredients in these home made lunchables!
 The combinations are endless and these are kid tested and approved!  So do some experimenting of your own. Choose from  healthy protein, carb, and fat choices.  Drop me a line and let me know how this works out for you? I think I'm gonna go make me one right now!
Bon Appetite'
 

12 comments:

  1. This is really cool. I think people these days are really catching on to reading those labels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! What have we been eating? Augh! thanks for tuning in ! Ruthy

      Delete
  2. Hey! I was sending lunchables to school with Mark because he has to have finger foods and I was tired of sending only peanut butter sandwiches! This is awesome! You should market this and call it healthy childrens lunchables!! Way to go! Love all your blogs! GREAT IDEAS!!! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! thanks let me know how it goes okay? Ruthy

      Delete
  3. But, the store bought lunchables are so much faster!

    Just kidding. You know thinking back, those bologna sandwiches my mom made were pretty darn good... especially when she cooked it. But that's just me...

    Everything invented to save us time and add convenience to our lives really does just the opposite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Floyd! Keep those sandwiches a memory! And very well said, so so true, I am adopting that saying! thanks for reading always... Ruthy

      Delete
  4. Not just for kids! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! and would work great for you as well! Thanks for reading and let me know of some combos you think of! Ruthy

      Delete
  5. Well, gosh darn it Ruthy!!! You did it again, another great idea for the kiddos! I will be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good! Thanks Tawny, and make sure you let me know how this goes for your gang! Ruthy

    ReplyDelete