Friday, October 19, 2012

THE SPOOKY TIME OF YEAR

THE SPOOKY TIME OF YEAR?

I remember when Halloween season was the spooky, scary, weird, time of the year.
People could take this "holiday" (though I never understood it to be that) to extremes in both directions. You know what I'm talking about, the whimsical lite side with the bright colors and glitter, cute spiders and ghosts , funny skeletons and mummy's  ...or take it to the left (no pun intended...maybe a little)  with the gory bloody body parts, evil demons and cloaked weirdo's. To which ever you prefer, it happened once a year for us. 
Is it just me, or does everyday seem to be Halloween anymore?  It doesn't seem to matter where you go, or how you get there, these weird people are everywhere. Sometimes so odd, you could swear there were hidden cameras, or a loved one lurking in the corner, playing a joke on you, only to realize that they are totally serious. You see this activity on Facebook quite often too.  I have to admit, I bite my typing fingers often.  It's a new world we live in,  I for one have been warned of by my Parents who were warned by their Parents lifetimes ago. A time to keep your eyes open to the Truth and only the Truth  and your mind sharp. A time to dig deep to your Faith and Gods Words and put the time in to study so you can show yourself approved when being asked by one of these "weirdo's" what the Hope is that shows in you. To dig even deeper and find some genuine Love for these people of the Halloween season. After all...we can all be Weirdo's can't we?
My mom used to tell me if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, well, I have to disagree, sometimes the truth isn't nice at all but desperately needed. Wisdom allows you to be able to say it out of Love.

I can't let you go without some cute decorating tips can I?



I do photoshop so if you do it too, try turning some of your family photos into some funny Halloween Photos by morphing their features, I never grow tired of these! I took old wood and painted it black and I display these in the hall with cobb webs and lights!


 
This one is just a down to earth real photo that well.... already looked creepy!


 

 

 
 These are some cute polka dot candles I found at Hobby Lobby!
I made a cute polka dot runner for the dining room table to match...... gotta have some cute too!

 


 

 
My daughter made these little guys out of Styrofoam balls, she found the spider leg
candle stands at...... Hobby Lobby!
 


 

 
 
 
Just a close up of some cobb webbing and spiders
 
 

 
 
 
 
I made some basic pillow cases with cheap black heavy fabric I had on hand, and covered my existing pillows
 Then I covered my furniture with sheets from St. Vincent's..... Yes I washed them even used bleach....mmmm maybe stains could be more creeepy?
 
 
This is a huge mirror in the living room, the extra big spiders are only 5 dollars at Safeway after halloween is over, sometimes 3 dollars if they aren't all sold! The spider webbing allows about 6 weeks of absolutely no mirror cleaning!
 
 
I temporarily inherited "Mike" from my grandson, and I might add he is sporting a pretty cool bowl right now!


 

I covered some lampshades I got at the second hand store for about 79 cents, and replaced them for Halloween, these are easy to do! I will have directions for these in another blog!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I spray painted some candle stick holders I found at the ....let me think ..... oh ya, second hand store... and then melted candle wax on them! These are all simple cheap ways to make your house fun for the kids for the season. Well maybe for the year?
 









This concludes the tour my fellow readers! Hope you enjoyed it!

Try to Have a Normal Season!

9 comments:

  1. Well said Ruthy! God's children walk in the Light and are not unaware of the spiritual forces at work around us. We are to gird our loins with Truth and wield the sword of the Spirit with accuracy and love. Amen to all you shared! What lovely works of art you create!! Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I appreciate your input! And as always thanks for reading! Ruthy

      Delete
  2. I've never thought of myself as a weirdo... but then again, most weirdos don't...

    The world is becoming darker and darker. The resurgence in the whole vampire thing befuddles me... I've never understood how make believe could thrill people... Real thrill is real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My choice of word was for halloween, and lets admit it we always think others are more weird than us! And sometimes they are! You are right about the world, and Light shines it's brightest when it's dark! Thanks for reading as always! Ruthy

      Delete
  3. Love the blog and pictures... even though I'm lucky enough to see the house quite often ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you? hahahahah always glad to have you here! Thanks for becoming a member of my humble blog Allison! Ruthy

      Delete
  4. HI Ruthy! I too know what you are saying and often ask myself that too. Are we weird when they look at us because we think they are normal? What if they are Normal and we are the weird ones because we are not like them? The point you made is true...it is all about eh truth!

    So saying. Love your decor as always and love the little lampshades! You always have such cool ideas! :) I am also glad that I only decorate for Christmas. LOL I do not have the time to make cute things like this nor do I have space to store it. HAHAHA

    Thanks for your wisdom! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...we do not think they are normal, we think we are....brain thinking faster than my fingers type...sorry for that mistake.
      (I wish I did have time and space because I love all of your ideas)...I hope that came across as that, because that is how I meant it. Sorry for this P.S. note

      Delete
    2. Ha no problems Janel, I know what you mean! Just look at my photos and pretend! I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to read them! Ruthy

      Delete